The LOOP - Walk 4
Ewell to Hatton Cross
Most of section 8 followed the Hogsmill River which rises in Ewell and flows 6 miles into the Thames at Kingston upon Thames. The river goes under Clattern Bridge, which is one of the oldest bridges in Surrey and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The earliest known reference is in a deed of 1293 and the medieval name 'Clateryngbrugge' is thought to have been descriptive of the sound of horses crossing the bridge.
Section 9 starts in Bushy Park which is the second largest of the Royal Parks. When Henry VIII took over Hampton Court from Cardinal Wolsey in 1529 he also took over three parks which make up the modern Bushy Park - Hare Warren, Middle Park and Bushy Park. It was established as a deer-hunting ground and deer can still be found it the park today.
Distance: around 16.5 miles (including walks to the stations)