The Capital Ring - Walk 5
Hendon to Bow
Final walk of the Capital Ring today and the route is picked up at Hendon, the start of Section 11. Although this section passes through many green spaces, the highlights are toward the end when the walk goes through Cherry Tree, Highgate and Queen's Wood - all remnants of the ancient forest of Middlesex. In Highgate Wood you will find a plaque marking the place where the Capital Ring was first launched on 21st September 2005 by Jenny Jones, Green Party member of the London Assembly and Chair of the Mayor's Walking Advisory Panel.
Section 12 leaves Highgate and mostly follows the Parkland Walk, once a railway line which was opened in 1867, it was due to be upgraded but work was abandoned at the outbreak of the World War II and the line was closed to passengers in 1954 and then freight in 1970. The tracks have been lifted and it is now a haven for wildlife. Passing through two more parks, Finsbury Park and Clissold Park, the end of this section goes through Abney Park Cemetery which was established in 1840 and opened as a model garden cemetery and non-denominational place of rest. Now a nature reserve where over 300,000 graves have been laid since it opened, the most notable burials are William and Catherine Booth, founders of The Salvation Army.
Leaving the cemetery Section 13 takes you through Stoke Newington, Springfield Park and onto the River Lee Navigation. Springfield Park opened to the public in 1905 and has been designated as London's first Regionally Important Geological Site and is on the English Register of Parks and Gardens of Historic Interest. The River Lea/River Lee Navigation is itself a strategic walking route, so more on this later!
The final part of the walk finished Section 14 with a wander through the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, home of the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics, and ended at Pudding Mill Lane.
Distance: around 16 miles.