This walk was the 2.0 version of the 2015 Monopoly Walk - the difference this time round was only the properties and stations were plotted, everything else needed to be found en route. To sum it up, there were 22 properties, four stations and two utilities as well as the Go square, Jail, Go To Jail, Free Parking, Income Tax and Super Tax. Also included were three Chance and three Community Chest cards and a representations of the eight current tokens - Wheelbarrow, Battleship, Race Car, Thimble, Boot, Scottie Dog, Top Hat and Cat.
With a homemade guide book in hand, a small group of us set out from the London Eye, aka 'GO', and headed off around the board. A sparkly star was awarded every time a square was landed on. Just to add a bit of extra fun a gold star was awarded for the first person to find the non-property/station squares.
Unfortunately the camera wasn't fully charged so we had to rely on a mobile phone to take some pictures, hence there isn't a photo of everything just the property and station squares - for Monopoly 3.0 the camera will be ready to go.
Distance: around 14.5 miles.
Old Kent Road
The first and one of the cheapest properties on the Monopoly board, Old Kent Road follows part of the Roman road known as Watling Street. Built to connect Dover to London via Canterbury then on to Holyhead in Wales, it is the only South London street featured on the board.
Fenchurch Street Station
Fenchurch Street is one of the smallest railway termini in London in terms of platforms but one of the most intensively operated. Uniquely among London termini, it does not have a direct link to the Underground, although an entrance on Cooper's Row is close to Tower Hill station and Tower Gateway DLR.
The second, and joint cheapest property on the board, is Whitechapel Road. The name of this major East End thoroughfare is said to have derived from St Mary's Church which stood on the site of what is now the Altab Ali Park. The original church was whitewashed with a mixture of lime and chalk, giving it a bright white finish and became known as the White Chapel.
Liverpool Street Station
It opened in 1874 as a replacement for the Great Eastern Railway's main London terminus, Bishopsgate station, subsequently converted into a goods yard. Liverpool Street was built as a dual-level station with an underground station opened in 1875 for the Metropolitan Railway, named Bishopsgate until 1909, when it was renamed Liverpool Street.
The Angel, Islington
Not a road this time, but a building - The Angel was a 16th century coaching inn popular with guests travelling to the City. The current building was finished in 1899 in the Flemish style by the architects Frederick Eedle and Sydney Meyers. Now in use as offices and a branch of the Co-op Bank, it is Grade II listed.
Running West to East, Pentonville Road stretches uphill from King's Cross to City Road. It acquired its present name in 1857 and is distinguished by the "set back" housing lines originally intended to provide an atmosphere of spaciousness along the thoroughfare.
Euston Road is an important thoroughfare in central London. Notable buildings along this road are King's Cross, St. Pancras, and Euston rail stations, the British Library, the Shaw Theatre and University College Hospital. You'll also find Euston Road Fire Station which was designed by Percy Nobbs in an 'Arts and Crafts' style.
King's Cross Station
King's Cross is a major terminus which opened in 1852. It is the southern terminus of the East Coast Main Line, providing high speed inter-city services to Yorkshire, the North East and Scotland.
Opened in 1899, Marylebone is the youngest of London's main line terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned. It is also the only London terminal station to host only diesel trains, having no electrified lines. Two new platforms were added in 2006 to accommodate increases in services and passengers.
Oxford Street is Europe’s busiest shopping street and is home to a number of major department and flagship stores, as well as hundreds of smaller shops. Although not the most expensive or fashionable, it is the biggest shopping street within inner London. The street follows the route of a Roman road, the ‘via Trinobantina’, which linked Hampshire with Colchester and became one of the major routes in and out of the city.
Park Lane is about three quarters of a mile (1.2 km) in length, and runs north from Hyde Park Corner to Marble Arch, along the length of the eastern flank of Hyde Park. To the east of the road is Mayfair. Despite the traffic noise the road is still upmarket, featuring five-star hotels such as The Dorchester and Grosvenor House Hotel, as well as showrooms for several sports car makers.
An area, rather than a street, Mayfair is now mainly commercial, with many former homes converted into embassies, offices for major corporations headquarters, hedge funds and real estate businesses. There remains a large number of residential properties as well as exclusive shops and restaurants. It is also home to London's largest concentration of 5* hotels. Rents are among the highest in London and the world.
One of the widest and straightest streets in London, Piccadilly runs from Hyde Park Corner in the West to Piccadilly Circus in the East. Originally Portugal Street, this iconic thoroughfare is home to some of London’s most notable landmarks: Simpsons of Piccadilly, The Royal Academy of Arts and The British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
Bond Street, consisting of two sections, has been a fashionable shopping street since the 18th century - the southern section is known as Old Bond Street and the longer northern section is known as New Bond Street. It is one of the most expensive strips of real estate in the world and, in 2010, it was Europe's most expensive retail location.
Regent Street is one the major shopping streets in the West End and was named after the Prince Regent (George IV). Every building in the street is at least Grade II listed. It is well known for the Christmas illuminations, Apple’s first European store and Hamleys toy store.
(Great) Marlborough Street
The construction of Great Marlborough Street began in the early 18th century and named in honour of the commander of the English Army, John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough. In the 19th century the street was largely commercialised and remains so today. Most of the buildings date from the Victorian era or later.
This short and narrow street consists mainly of the rear of buildings facing onto other streets. Vine Street Police Station (now closed) was situated here when the Metropolitan Police was created in 1829. It was Vine Street Police Station that the Marquess of Queensbury was taken in 1895 to be charged with criminal libel against Oscar Wilde, setting off a series of events that would eventually lead to Wilde’s imprisonment.
Coventry Street is a short street within the City of Westminster, running from Piccadilly Circus to Leicester Square.
Leicester Square was named after Robert Sidney, 2nd Earl of Leicester, this icon of the West End was originally conceived as a private garden. However, to appease local parishioners, Charles I decreed the land should remain public, and it has remained so to this day. Beneath it’s green pasture hides the main electrical substation for the entire West End, the cables for which run in a tunnel as far as Wimbledon.
Pall Mall is situated in the City of Westminster and runs parallel to The Mall. The name derives from ‘pall-mall’ which was a mallet and ball lawn game mostly played in the 16th and 17th centuries, a precursor to modern day croquet. It is home to St. James’s Palace, the official residence of the sovereign and the most senior royal palace.
Opened to the pubic in 1844, Trafalgar Square was originally conceived as ‘King William the Fourth’s Square’. It is home to Nelson’s Column, standing at a height of 170ft, surrounded by four bronze lions. The north side of the square is dominated by the facade of the National Gallery and the ‘Fourth Plinth’, empty for more than 150 years, now commissions temporary artwork commissioned by the Royal Society of Arts.
Taking its name from the vast palace which once stood on the site, Whitehall is home to many government departments and ministries and is now recognised as the centre of the British Government.
Often mistakenly called 'The Strand’, Strand is a major thoroughfare in the City of Westminster. This famous street was once host to many a royal courtier and bishop, but now hosts the patrons of it’s many theatres and hotels. When the aristocracy left the area acquired a “dissolute but lively reputation” and became notable for its coffee houses, low taverns and cheap women!
Northumberland Avenue runs from Trafalgar Square to the Thames Embankment. Several Government departments are located along the street, including the Ministry of Defence and the Air Ministry. The road was built on the site of Northumberland House, the London home of the Duke's of Northumberland.
Bow Street is a thoroughfare in Covent Garden and the area around was developed by Francis Russell, 4th Earl of Bedford, in the 1630s. Oliver Cromwell lived here, Robert Harley, 1st Earl of Oxford, was born here and the Bow Street Runners, precursors to our modern day police force, were founded here by Henry Fielding in the 1749. Bow Street is also the site of the Royal Opera House.
Although home to the Royal Courts of Justice this historic street is probably best known for its association with the publishing and the press. Over 500 years it become the home of British national newspapers. The last major British news office, Reuters, left the street in 2005. However, the name Fleet Street remains a metonym for the British national press to this day.