London's Lost Rivers: The Walbrook
The Walbrook is one the subterranean 'lost' rivers of London which, like the already visited River Fleet and Westbourne, empties into the Thames. Today's walk followed the route of the river from what is now Shoreditch, through the City, to the River Thames.
The Walbrook was an important stream in Roman London, it brought a fresh water supply into the city and allowed waste to be carried away. It was also used for transport, although it was limited to some 200m in land, and a port, a temple to Mithras and the Roman Governor's palace were built on the east bank of the stream. It is believed that the stream got it's name in the late 6th Century when London was captured by the Anglo-Saxons - as it was the brook which ran under the defensive wall.
The upper City section of the stream was covered over when St. Margaret Lothbury was rebuilt in 1440. The Walbrook now runs completely underground and feeds the sewer system. It empties into the Thames near to Cannon Street Station.
Distance: around 2 miles.