London Wall

London Wall

For nearly fifteen hundred years the physical growth of the City of London was limited by its defensive wall. The first Wall was built by the Romans cAD200, one hundred and fifty years after the foundation of Londinium. It stretched for 2 miles (3.2km), incorporating a pre-existing fort. In the 4th century the Romans strengthened the defences with towers on the eastern section of the Wall.

The Roman Wall formed the foundation of the later City Wall. During the Saxon period the Wall decayed but successive medieval and Tudor rebuilding and repairs restored it as a defensive wall. With the exception of a medieval realignment in the Blackfriars' area, the Wall retained its original line unaltered over the centuries. From the 17th century, as London expanded rapidly in size, the Wall was no longer necessary for defence. 

Much of it was demolished in the 18th and 19th centuries and where sections survived they became buried under shops and warehouses. During the 20th century several sections have been revealed by excavations and have now been preserved.

Distance: around 4.5 miles.

Ye Olde London Pubs

Ye Olde London Pubs

1300 miles walked

1300 miles walked