Hertford Union Canal
Today's walk was a stroll home along the towpath of the Hertford Union Canal, which like the Limehouse Cut, was built to provide a short cut between the Thames, via the Regent's Canal, and the River Lee Navigation. It was promoted by Sir George Duckett and in 1824 gained an Act of Parliament and Royal Assent for the cut to be built. It opened in 1830 but it wasn't a commercial success and within a year tolls were being waived.
For several years, around the 1850s, the canal was dammed to prevent water being lost from the Regent's Canal and was eventually acquired by the Regent's Canal Company in 1857. They removed the dam and deepened and widened the channel. It later became part of the Grand Union Canal Company in 1929.
These days the canal is used for more leisurely pursuits and is great for walks, runs and cycle rides.
Distance: around 1 mile.