Have you heard of... Horace Jones?

Have you heard of... Horace Jones?

Sir Horace Jones (1819-1887) was an architect noted for his work as Architect and Surveyor to the City of London from 1864 until his death. He also served as president of the Royal Institute of British Architects from 1882 until 1884 and was knighted on 30 July 1886.

If you don't know the name, you will almost certainly recognise one or two of his works and today's walk was a stroll linking the still existing London sites together.

Distance: around 10 miles.

Temple Bar Memorial

The Temple Bar Memorial marks the site of a gateway which once stood on the site. Many structures had stood on the site, the latest one was designed by Sir Christopher Wren which was removed in 1878 in order to widen the road. The gateway was bought by brewer Henry Meux and reconstructed on his estate Theobalds Park. It was moved again and, since 2004, can be seen next to St. Paul's as an entrance to Paternoster Square.

The memorial, which now stands on the original site, was designed by Jones and unveiled in 1880. It is a neo-Renaissance pedestal featuring Charles Bell Birch's sculpture of the City of London's rampant 'Griffin' symbol, and two free standing bronze statues of Queen Victoria and Prince Edward, the Prince of Wales, by Sir Joseph Boehm. They were the last royals to have passed through Wren's gate.

Guildhall School of Music and Drama

Starting in a disused warehouse in the City, the Guildhall School of Music opened in 1880 and was the first municipal music college in Great Britain. The school outgrew its building and so in 1887 moved to new premises, designed by Jones, in John Carpenter Street. It was in this building that extra departments were added and in 1935 the school added "and Drama" to its title. The school, since 1977, is now housed in the Barbican Centre.

Smithfield Market

Smithfield is one of London's oldest markets with meat being traded on the site for more than 800 years. A livestock market occupied the site as early as the 10th century. The present market was established by an Act of Parliament in 1860, with the permanent building designed by Jones. Work began in 1866 on the Central Market, inspired by Italian architecture, and was completed in 1868.

Library and Museum, Guildhall

Under the terms of Richard Whittington's will, the Guildhall Library was founded in the 1420s and now specialises in the history of London. It does however have many other collections of national and international importance. Open to all scholars, it can be claimed to be the first public library financed by a local authority. Though in 1549 the entire collection was moved to Somerset House by the then Duke of Somerset.

Some 300 years later the City of London decided to open a second library at Guildhall and it was designed by Jones. Opening in November 1872 it comprised of the library, which could be converted into a reception space for ceremonial purposes, the newspaper and directory-room, the committee room, with the Guildhall Museum and the strong-room occupying the basement. 

Leadenhall Market

The market dates from the 14th century and stands on what was the centre of Roman London. Originally a meat, game and poultry market it is now home to cheesemongers, butchers, florists, and other commercial retail vendors and restaurants.

The Grade II listed market was designed in 1881 by Jones and has a spectacularly ornate roof and cobbled floors. It underwent a dramatic redecoration between 1990 and 1991 which transformed its appearance, enhancing its architectural character and detail.

Billingsgate Market

Billingsgate Wharf became the centre of a fish market during the 16th & 17th centuries but wasn't formally established until an Act of Parliament in 1699. Jones designed a new market building after the previous one became too small. Work began in 1874 and was opened in 1877. The general market, on a level with Thames Street, had an area of about 30,000 square feet, and was covered with louvre glass roofs, 43 feet (13 m) high at the ridge. A gallery 30 feet (9.1 m) wide was allocated to the sale of dried fish, while the basement, served as a market for shellfish.

Tower Bridge

A 'Special Bridge or Subway Committee' was formed in 1876 to generate ideas of how to build a new crossing to the east of London Bridge without disrupting river traffic. Over 50 designs were submitted but it wasn't until October 1884 that Jones in collaboration with John Wolfe Barry put forward their design.

It took eight years, five major contractors and the labour of 432 construction workers to build the bridge. Jones died before the bridge was finished and George D. Stevenson took control of the project, he replaced Jones's original brick facade with the more ornate Victorian Gothic style that is seen today, intended to harmonise the bridge with the nearby Tower of London.

When it was finished it was the largest and most sophisticated bascule bridge ever completed. It was opened on 30th June 1894 by The Prince of Wales (future Edward VII) and The Princess of Wales (Alexandra of Denmark).

Foreign Cattle Market

Before refrigeration cattle were imported live and the Contagious Diseases (Animals) Act gave the City of London Corporation exclusive local authority for foreign animal imports and processing subject to its opening a market before January 1872. So in 1871 Jones converted the Deptford dockyard into a Foreign Cattle Market, by 1889 the site has been extended to 27 acres.

Don't Bin Those Bananas!

Don't Bin Those Bananas!

There's Nothing Paltry About This Poultry

There's Nothing Paltry About This Poultry